Sunday, March 10, 2013

Castles In The Air

For most of my life, I've gotten used to people make observations (some in amusement, some in annoyance) that I was lost in thought, off in my own little world, or daydreaming.  My mind tends to always be busy -- sometimes spinning in place like a hamster in a wheel, but busy.  In addition to everyday stuff and everyday cares, I'm thinking ahead to musical goals, setlists, and writing ideas.  I may obsess over something I want to achieve and turn it over repeatedly in the mind.

A post I came across on Google Plus referred to a blog on creativity by Dustin W. Stout, a specific entry titled Stop Dreaming and Start Creating (link below).  It starts with "Creative people have a tendency to be dreamers. We can get lost for hours letting our brains drift off into endless possibilities. Sometimes though, we can become lost in the dream and forget to ever take action."

Hello. That hit me where I live.

Some creative people overindulge in dreaming.  Dustin likened it to going to the top of a skyscraper and looking at the tremendous view, each vista a presentation of endless possibilities.  I experience at times the sense of being overwhelmed by the infinite choices - which do I choose and make finite?  Other times I indulge my all-too-highly developed skills of procrastination, fearing my first step in any direction will be a wrong one.

Dustin Stout's view is it's okay to go up to the ledge of creativity and dream.  Where it becomes unhealthy is when one doesn't go on and act: "When you don't take action it’s like the onset of creative obesity. You begin to get bogged down by ideas seeing none of them come to fruition."

For years I've had a plaque hanging on the wall of this quote by Henry David Thoreau: "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."  Thoreau and Stout are saying the same thing.  Creation requires dreaming, and we must allow ourselves to soar into the clouds without feeling we are slothful.  But sooner or later, we must come back to the ground and act to make the dreams tangible.


http://dustn.tv/stop-dreaming-start-creating/

1 comment:

Dustin W. Stout said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this-- and I really appreciate your complements! You have some great thoughts! I have never heard that quote from Thoreau-- awesome!