Thursday, December 19, 2013

I Won't Attack Your Religion

I won't attack your religion, unless you attack me with your religion.

These words came to me after a discussion about someone who attacked a Salvation Army bell ringer at a Wal-Mart in Phoenix because she said "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."  I said there was nothing Christian about what the attacker did.  That brought an over-sensitive (in my opinion) response from an extended family member who acted as if I was attacking her Christianity.

This is an attitude that, unfortunately, is all too familiar to me.  Way too many professed Christians have the attitude that if you do not let their religion dominate all aspects of society, somehow you are persecuting them.  For the most part in my life, I have played "get along to go along" and remained silent.  I am changing that attitude, speaking up against the traditional domineering practiced by those who claim to profess Christ's love.

Another phrase comes to mind that I've found on social media: Instead of keeping Christ in Christmas, how about keeping Christ in Christian.

No comments: